Tuesday, April 8, 2014
Hooray for Spring and Hooray for Tara! Come celebrate both with us this Saturday, April 12th. We'll meet in the classroom at the Quilt Barn in Kimberly at 3pm. We'll start off by discussing some business (if I come up with some before then). I don't have a demo planned. Let me know if there is something you would really love to see or to present. We'll talk a little bit about our quilt block exchange. We'll do a show and tell- so be sure to bring your projects to show off. Then we'll help Tara sew bunting for her wedding as well as work on our own projects late into the night. About 6 pm, we'll take a break and have a potluck dinner. Heather is bringing a meat. The guild will provide paper products. Bring whatever sounds yummy to you to share with everyone. See you then!
Thursday, March 13, 2014
Thanks so much to everyone who could be there. We packed the classroom and it really was so much fun!
1. I have a member directory ready for everyone at the next meeting, Nothing too fancy, just a list of everyone's phone numbers, email addresses and birthdays.
2. Lori Holt is coming back to The Quilt Barn for a retreat May 2-4! It sounds like so much fun. There are with or without lodging options. All the details can be found on the Quilt Barn's Blog.
3. Heather and the Quilt Barn Chicks are hosting a sew along for the Sew Together Bag. Details on the blog.
4. Tara's bachelorette party/ bridal shower/ sewing retreat will be March 27-29 in the Hen House Retreat Center and we're all invited. That's the Thursday, Friday and Saturday of Spring Break. Come whenever you can, for as long as you can. There's plenty of beds. We'll be working on our own projects as well as helping Tara sew miles of bunting to decorate her wedding with. I am hereby declaring that Thursday night at 6 our official next meeting. Let's do a potluck dinner, discuss a little business, sew bunting and have fun. All in favor?
5. Speaking of Tara, she's spearheaded our next quilt-a-long project. I'm pretty excited for this one. The tutorial we're using is Scrap Jar Stars by A Little Bit Biased. We'll each choose a color and then make a block (or maybe two? How big do we want our finished quilts?) for each person participating. At the end, we'll each get one block (maybe two) from each person to make into our quilt. We'll make labels for the back with each person's name written in the color of their block. We'll end up with something like this.
We've got 11 people signed up so far.
Jenele- Hot Pink
Kim- Dark Purple
Pat- Light Pink
Diane- Light Purple
We'll all be using the same white fabric- Moda Bella Solid 9900 97. The Quilt Barn has a large bolt or it ready to go. Please make sure your other fabrics are good quality quilt shop fabrics. And that your colors are bright and clear.
If you'd like to participate, email me- email@example.com and let me know what color you'd like to do. There's still room for dark green, dark blue and lots of others. Just no blacks or browns. We want cheerful, rainbowy sorts of quilts.
I think that's everything. As always, email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions, concerns or suggestions. I hope to see you all on March 27th at 6 pm for Tara's party!
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Quilt Guild night really is the best night of the whole month, isn't it? A lot went on at the February meeting so grab your beverage of choice and get ready for a long blog post.
1. First off, thanks to everyone who made it to the meeting and welcome to our two newest members- Pat and Jentry. We're glad to have you, ladies.
2. I should have member directories with everyone's phone number, email address and birthday ready for the next meeting. If you know your information has changed and you haven't already updated it with me, please email your correct contact information to me (email@example.com).
3. Dues are due. It's $15 for membership for the year. Bring your money to the next meeting if you haven't already paid.
4. Nicke demonstrated some of her methods for piecing together a quilt top from different sized wonky blocks. Thanks so much, Nicke!
5. Next month Jenele will be teaching us how to paper-piece the amazingly popular economy block. Along with that, we'll be having a scrap scramble. So, bring along some of your scraps. We'll spread them all out, use them to make some economy blocks and you'll get to pick out some new and exciting scraps to take home.
6. Have you seen the amazing Sew Together Bags Heather has been making? No, well let me show you the one she made Saturday night-
Super cute and super useful. Well, the amazing Heather is willing to help you make one of your very own. She's be at the Quilt Barn at 4 pm before our next meeting (March 8th) to help anyone and everyone make this wonderful bag. You'll need to purchase your pattern from Craftsy ahead of time and have your pieces cut out. Even more good news, when you purchase your pattern you can get a $5 Quilt Barn Gift Certificate. It's really easy. Go to the Quilt Barn Website, click on the Craftsy button on the top right side, and search "sew together bag sewdemented". Next thing you know, you've got a $5 gift certificate and a cute place to corral some stuff.
7. Lori Holt from BeeInMyBonnet is coming back to the Quilt Barn the weekend of May 3rd. I've heard fantastic things about her classes last time. There will be special in-town pricing if you don't need to spend the night in the Hen House. More information will be available on the the Quilt Barn website soon.
8. Show and Tell!
Pat brought her amazing Civil War Sampler quilt. Look at how tiny those pieces are!
Heather brought some of the things she's working on- Union Jack blocks and a patchwork quilt top.
There's a Candy behind that Valentine's table runner.
Candy with the dresden plate table runner she made from a rescued vintage quilt top.
And, finally, a quilt she recently finished for a wedding gift.
Nicke's been making gifts for a knitter- a sock sack.
And a knitting needle case decorated with an amazing scrappy dresden plate.
Well, ladies. I think that's everything. How was your beverage?
See you next month!
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
It's that time again. Our monthly meeting will be this Saturday, February 8th starting at 6 pm at the Quilt Barn. Bring your $15 dues for the year if you have not already paid them. Also don't forget projects for show and tell, your nametag and maybe some treats to share. As always, we'll follow the meeting with a late night sew. So, bring your machine and some projects to work on.
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Our next meeting is this Saturday, January 11th! Some things to remember-
1. We'll be having our potluck dinner that we didn't get to have in January. The guild will be providing the main course (either ham or lasagna depending on what I can find at the grocery store) and all the paper products. Bring whatever you want, no matter what you signed up for last time.
2. Bring your gift for the gift exchange if you have not already gifted it.
3.We'll be doing our final block exchange. Bring 6 granny square blocks if you would like to participate.
4. Dues for 2014 are $15. Please bring it this meeting or next.
5. Bring your machine and projects for our late night sew immediately following the meeting!
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Emilee emailed me her fantastic last minute gift ideas. These are amazing and still completely do-able before the big day.
First up, an embroidered bow pendant.
How adorable is that? She found the tutorial in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
Next, for the new babies on your Christmas list- a car seat blanket.
Cute and highly useful. She used the tutorial from Running With Scissors.
Last up is pillow covers.
Emilee modified a tutorial she purchased from Etsy. There are tons of free pillow patterns online, as well. I swear every year I'm going to make this one from From the Blue Chair. There's still time this year, right?
Also, every year I try and make at least one new ornament for our tree. They also make great last minute gifts along with a plate of treats. Here's my long list of all the ones I am considering making this year-
Button Tree Ornament
Felt Nativity Ornament
Simple Quilted Stars
Scrappy Stocking Ornaments
Love Where You Live Ornament
Christmas Bird Ornament
Have a merry Christmas, everyone!
Thursday, December 5, 2013
This Saturday night is our Meeting, Late Night Sew and Holiday Party all rolled into one. If we tried to cram any more fun into this one night, it would actually explode! We'll be meeting at 6pm in the big, lovely Hen House located behind the The Quilt Barn.A few reminders-